Mason, Texas

Mason was named for Fort Mason.

Downtown is dominated by the Mason County Courthouse.

There isn't much left of Fort Mason except for some deteriorating foundations and a reconstructed officers quarters. The fort is perhaps most notable as Robert E. Lee's last command in the U.S. Army.

Fort Mason is strategically located atop Post Hill on the south side of town.

This officers quarters is reconstructed on an original foundation using  stone previously  used in fort buildings.

Fred Gipson, author of Old Yeller, was born in Mason in 1908. In his honor, a statue of a dog and a boy stands in front of the library. The bricks surrounding the statue bear the names of sponsors, including then-Governor George W. Bush, famous librarian First Lady Laura Bush, and many members of the Gipson family. There are also unusual names such as Kudo, Rowdy, Princess, Overall and Ugly--bricks honoring dogs past and present.

Return to Texas

  Copyright 2002-2013 David Johnsen. All rights reserved.