Anson, Texas

  Anson is named for Dr. Anson Jones, the last president of the Republic of Texas. It is in Jones County, making it one of several places in Texas where city and county honor the same person.

The centerpiece of Anson is the Jones County Courthouse, built in 1910.

The setting sun brings out the colors of the brick and Pecos red sandstone  on the west side of the courthouse.

This closeup shows the statue of Lady Justice  at the top.

This statue of Anson Jones sits in front of the courthouse.

The Opera House is another architectural treasure on the courthouse square.

The Palace Theatre is in dire need of restoration.

The Morning Star Inn has clean, affordable rooms.

Return to Texas

  Copyright 2002-2013 David Johnsen. All rights reserved.